Thursday, March 4, 2010

process inspiration in the tube

One of the best things to happen to me in the last couple years inspiration wise has been my discovery of YouTube. Yes, that place. That rabbit hole. You know it well, I imagine. It's my go-to spot for music, personal vlogs, cute kittens, vintage tv anything and a mishmash of every other imaginable subject suited for my wacky taste. What's not to love, I ask?
.
The other thing that really has kept me hooked is the artists and the art community. What YouTube artists give the viewer that regular photos of artwork doesn't is a keyhole view into their process. In-Action Process. That is something I haven't ever had a tonne of exposure to, but am completely fascinated by. I love process! Seeing how a person moves through the creative process, makes changes, finishing marks made to a work. These artists let us behind the curtain by sharing their talents, methods, thoughts and developing works with the viewer. They choose to share their own bits of knowledge and experience with the world. To see a final painting is one thing, to see one develop in front of your eyes by the artist is a completely different experience. I love that the most about the online video world.

Here is a video I love; one I literally stumbled upon in 2008 by artist Michael Shapcott. He has a few others worth checking out as well, but this is the first one I watched, so I go back to it often. I feel like watching some of his videos when I want to generate my own ideas and need some visual prompting. He always gets the ball rolling. So, today I thought my friends my enjoy seeing a piece of artwork as it comes alive. I love that he took the time to share this with the world.




p.s. Isn't he adorable? the intro? i know.

leel

5 comments:

Heather Plett said...

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! I love to watch an artist's process.

It's kind of meditative.

leel said...

i completely agree heather! I could just sit back and watch all day long, in a trance.
technology ftw!
thanks for your comment :)

Maggie May said...

hey this is cool :)

leel said...

@maggie: thanks! alert: very cool AND highly addictive.

serenity said...

i hate that my comp is
too old to play utube very well :(

but youtube did bring me nerdfighteria and you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails