Monday, April 5, 2010

Music Monday :: Matt Good

Last week I found myself digging through youtube for music from my 20's, music from the 90's. I mean, it's just too great to forget. Most of it is Canadian bands I saw during those years, bands now defunct. One artist I can't seem to ever shake is Matthew Good. I have loved him as the lead singer in the Matthew Good Band, who people branded an asshole after a weird publicity stunt gone sour, and today, as Matthew or Matt Good. I mean, his name is Good. He represents to me, a meaningful working artist. He speaks loudly about mental illness and for global justice, he blogs as well.
So, how bad can a guy named Good be? Or is that the irony? Or is that just his name and I'm being a weirdo? One of those sounds kinda right. I digress. I love his lyrics. I love his passion. I sing the words to these songs at random times, they pop up all the time and right now they are stuck in my mind. So put on some earphones (or not) crank up the volume, press play and enjoy them with me ::

I am currently cycling the lyrics to Everything is Automatic, over and over and over in mind, so it seems like a perfect place to start:





say hey, say hey, say, how ya doin'

Next Up: let's go back to the early days. Symbolistic White Walls. Perfection, all of it.



Next, and lastly: Born Losers. (the winning video entry, actually) Maybe my fave, as I listen to the lyrics now. Dripping with awesome, actually.





"Born Losers"

Well there ain't nothing to this but your daughter
and the life you would not give her break your plans
traipsed across the continent a squatter
for your lies at night to sleep between my hands

When the lights come on this whole place gets ugly
but when they're out strangers fall in love
she could never say that flat out she don't want me
cause I could never say that half way ain't enough

New Order's on the turn table we're dancing
cause what else do you do when you don't talk?
crucified to crawl into your mansion
Ya, that's why I learned to crawl before I walked

We're back where we belong
straight back where we belong
no days for nights, no cocaine cons
just back where we belong

Take me out back to your piranhas
And beat me until I can't even stand
your whole life a plane without no landing gear
so if this is it then come on let me land

That trailer trash pedigree is calling
it rats you out when you're down on all fours
me I like to cast my death on yesterday
cause what doesn't kill us now just makes us better whores

We're back where we belong
straight back where we belong
no days for nights, no cocaine cons
just back where we belong

Go put it in the ground
go bury it some place it can't be found
go put it in the ground

Well there ain't nothing to this but your daughter
and the life you would not give her break your plans
traipsed across the continent a squatter
for your lies at night to sleep between my hands

Happy Music Monday :)

leel

4 comments:

Avitable said...

How funny that we both wrote about music! I remember Matthew Good when he first came out - never did much for me, but I don't remember the publicity stunt issue.

leel said...

@avitable: I know! Maybe you inspired me. I'm impressed you have heard of Matt Good. We'll leave it at that. ahem.
thanks for stopping by!

serenity said...

can't say i'm a huge fan of his and the weird publicity didn't help...but i agree canerdia has some pretty amazing talent--the hip, the cowboy junkies, hawksley workman, sarah maclachlan, sloan, delirium, great big sea, and so many more that tired brain won't cough up right now-many of which the rest of the world have never even heard of...ah well

leel said...

@ser, I totally get what you mean on all aspects. also, i never realized how canadian my collection really is until i started to look at the ratio. i might have to keep the Canadian theme for music monday post!

thanks for the comment girlie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails